Monday, July 22, 2013

7.22.13 EDAD 536 Reflection

Video Responses

 Learning to Change - Changing to Learn

Kids as rich content delivery...social networking, etc...but much of it is banned in their environment.  If we allow personal technology in the classroom, how do we level the playing field for students who do not have access?  It is our moral imperative as educators to ensure that all students (even those without personal access to technology) have the requisite skills to enter the job market as young adults...

Relationship, community, connectivity, access...

Classroom...bricks/mortar or student centered tech rich?  How do we at CBD9 meet the needs of our students technologically?  How do we give access to the many students/families that are not tech capable today?  CBD9 Online - what is included, required, possible?  I need to learn more about our new programs and the opportunities that may lie within our district.

It's more than simply applying standards and administering academic tests.  This is not actually getting our young people prepared for the demands of today's employment opportunities.  Do you know how to find, validate, communicate, collaborate, and problem solve with information? 

Technological equity?  Is it our job to provide?  Maybe we simply provide access to technology and empower families to take some responsibility for their own technological savvy?  Our computer labs are empty from 330pm through the evening until school opens up again in the morning...and closed ALL weekend.  Is there a way to make our school buildings more of a community resource?  Online personnel available outside the traditional school hours?  Computer labs open into the evenings for students and families?



Sir Ken Robinson - TED Talk
Bring on the Learning Revolution

Climate crisis of human resources...poor use of our personal talents.  2 types of people - those who enjoy their life and those who "embody" their life...they love what they do, it is who they are as a being.  The talents might be buried deeply, but they are there.  Education is the key...but reform is not enough - it is simply improving upon a broken model.  Not Evolution, but REvolution.

Fundamental innovation...challenging the status quo.

A. Lincoln, "...rise with the occasion...we shall disenthrall ourselves and thus save our country."

What do you take for granted?  It's hard to know what you take for granted...example - wristwatches for those over/under 25.  

Life is not linear...it is organic.  And yet, we are obsessed with the linear thinking...end game in education is college.  But it is really?  Example: firefighter...who saves the life of the teacher who claimed that he was "throwing his life away" by not attending college and becoming a professional person.  Communities, however, depend upon a diversity of abilities and passions...  

College does not begin in kindergarten...kindergarten begins in kindergarten.  A 3 year old is not half of a 6 year old...it is merely a 3 year old.  

Conformity...education built on model of fast food...everything is standardized.  How truly healthy is that?  Humanity is diverse...and should revolve around personal passion.  (Sir Ken and Eric Clapton - got a guitar at about the same time...worked out very differently for Eric Clapton!)  Move away from linear/standardized/ fast food model...towards an organic process.  Reformation of education is about customizing and personalizing education for those we are teaching...

 Growing kids' deficits rather than focusing on their strengths...but we choose our life paths based on our strengths...  Exploration within the structure of the standards...

"The district treats us like if they haven't taught it to us, then we haven't learned it." -student quote from Jared

Reflection

As I reflect upon today's discussions, I find myself feeling encouraged that while my personal perspective may not mirror that of my district colleagues, I am (actually) on the right track for education "revolution" and forward thinking in the ways in which technology can enhance learning.  I work on a team of 5 teachers, with only one who shares my vision of 4th grade education wholly.  The other 3 are far more traditionally based and curriculum/worksheet driven than I.  I have struggled against their influence to work in this traditional paper/pencil, worksheet/textbook, "sage on the stage" model and worked diligently to remain rooted in my philosophy of exploration, sharing, and deeper thinking.

I am fortunate to be in a classroom that is equipped with a SMART Board, although it was truly by default, therefore I received no training.  The board was technically a "SpEd" board and I am merely a RegEd 4th grade teacher...and when I moved into my new classroom, it was under the clear knowledge that the SMART Board would be removed and that I should not get used to having that technology available.  I learned at the end of September that I would, indeed, be keeping the board.  Another RegEd colleague in a "grant room" equipped with a SMART Board and accompanying "goodies" was uninterested in using the SMART Board because it was, "on the wrong wall."  Much to my joy, I was now given the privilege of technology with little or no training.  I have been successful in integrating the use of the SMART Board as a touch screen computer for video streaming and ClassDojo, but have not even begun to scratch the surface of what this incredible tool can do for my students.

I am equally fortunate to have a mother who financially supports my desire to integrate technology into my life by providing 2 iPads for myself and my daughter, as well as an iPhone for my daughter.  I have an iPhone, as well.  I have learned as much from my daughter (who is 12 years old!) about technology as I have from any other external source beyond my own curiosity and willingness to explore.  Her youth and enthusiasm, coupled with her fearless nature, has helped me to move out of the realm of disequilibrium and into the realm of being an active pursuer of further knowledge and understanding in the virtual land of technology!
     

 



 




4 comments:

  1. Becky-wonderful notes and small jewels within Sir Ken's talk. You pulled out some great thoughts to chew on as you consider how you can influence your Grade 4 teammates. Small steps, but I've seen in happen with technology as the catalyst and a student-centered vision. I encourage you to keep your chin up and take the right steps forward.

    Great to have you in class!
    -Todd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing what kids can do with technology with little or no training? Your comment about your daughter's use of the iPhone reminded me of my own child.

    We recently gave our 8 year old daughter our old digital camera. With zero instructions, she was utilizing functions on the camera my wife and I had no idea even existed... She was attaching audio notes to the photos she was taking, describing what was in the photo and why she had taken it, less than 24 hours after we gave her the phone. Maybe our students need to be the ones to train us in the classroom...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being from a district that had the technology "vision" then lost sight. I feel like I am swimming upstream. There seems to be always new focuses in education and "we" work really hard trying to implement them but one common denominator that seems to always be the vehicle to move us forward is technology.
    It's nice that you have a "Fairy Godmother" (your mom) to help you with you wishes. That's a person who values our future and your expertise. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becky,
    It was fun reading your notes with your thoughts included. You are super-insightful. I have never really thought about access and who is responsible to make sure that all students can access technology. I think I forget about that because I work in a school with lots of poverty, but most of the students still have sweet-sauce cell phones. I know that's not the case in every situation and I need to spend some brain power on this situation. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete