Wednesday, July 24, 2013

7.24.13

Poor Practices in Technology

*Filming 1st period and showing the video to subsequent periods
*Not being careful with email communications
*Classified misuse of tech
*Using tech to keep kids busy while the teacher corrects or does other work
*Staying to close to tech curriculum and not allowing some joy of learning with computers
*Social media issues - release of information, appropriate/inappropriate use by students/staff
*Low tech use of high tech tools
*Following the fad...purchase the tech without the necessary additions (apps, storage, training)
*Tech sits in a cupboard all summer long while teachers are on "vacation"...what? why?

What do I need to do?

*Always ask "why"
*Have clear expectations before you need to enforce them about use of social media
*Have a procedure for release of information - control the message...make sure it's accurate
*Provide PD...whole group, small group, mentoring/teaming, or individual
*Independently strive for growth with slow, but deliberate integration 
     **This is my personal goal for this next year...I have learned so many valuable things this summer, but need to make sure I cement my learning by continuing to "play" and implementing new tech into my teaching THIS YEAR...not some day, but THIS YEAR!  I hope to be able to access additional technology (laptops, perhaps?), but need to prove to my administrator (and to myself!) that I will integrate and use technology effectively with a lens focused always on student engagement and student learning.**
*Margaret - 3 pronged approach...personal conversation/training, clearly and repeatedly stating the administrative expectation, work to break down the barriers (time, resources,etc)

TeachingChannel.org - link on frimoth.com 
    CHECK THIS OUT...great videos!  (Transitions...Ms. Noonan)

G. Doug Bundy, Google Certified Teacher, 
     aka "The Google Guy", Raleigh Hills Elem. School

Google tools...window to the internet
OMG...the Google possibilities are mind-boggling!!! 
 *Google Drive
      *Create doc, highlight, Tools, Research (cite, images, etc), Translate
 *Google Scholar
 *Google Translate - have ELL translator proof docs that I translate using Google
 *Google Custom Search Engine - great for student research projects

Wow!  In less than an hour this morning, I have been introduced to an incredible wealth of technological opportunities to enhance, streamline, and improve my teaching practice!  This is what i need to do for my kids EVERY day...make the learning relevant, applicable, and keep my enthusiasm going strong so that I can inspire and enthuse my students!

We used to be able to stumble through and still get a gig, but we had a much more forgiving economy back then...now we can't do that.  -G.Douglas Bundy

educe - to draw out

Brain Rules written by Dr. John Medina (will be @ Jesuit HS on Sept. 28)

(SIDE NOTE: As I sit next to Jared and glance at his screen, I am amazed at his ability to multitask by searching (and finding!) wonderful images to add to his blog that infuse humor...Jared, I am inspired by your creativity!  I only wish I knew how to steal your "Mind Blown" image to include in this side note!)

Jane Mcgonigal - check out TED Talk on gaming/game based learning by following this link...
              http://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgonigal_gaming_can_make_a_better_world.html 

K-8 Beaverton...developing entrepreneurial skill in students...1-to-1 iPad integration next year?  What an incredible opportunity!!  Listening to this conversation invigorates my desire to "jump into the deep end" the best I can with limited resources...because I have SOME awesome tech in my room and a personal iPad that I could bring to my classroom...I am excited!

Student Source...GoogleSite, student centered, students aid in development, Google search Student Source for access
     **Crowd sourcing games...remote camera shots for identification...cool!
     **CCSS ties and searchable

Reflections:

Where do I begin?? This was an amazing, overwhelming, and inspiring day!  This has helped to shape my final project, expanding my initial thoughts of SMART Board based personal PD and integration to a more "big picture" tech integration spanning the 2013-14 school year.  I want to have a systematic approach that will allow me to flex as needed, but will also give me a structure within which I can be pushed to strive for success and excellence.  I am blessed to have technology in my classroom, technology personnel that are incredibly supportive, a technology TOSA as a personal friend, as well as colleague, and a principal who will support me in my desired area of growth because he believes in my passion and vision for personal excellence.  Now it's up to me...develop a plan for increasing my technology knowledge and understanding and implement changes in my classroom!  This is where it gets fun!
 
  

2 comments:

  1. Yep, G's amazing and glad you were inspired by him. He inspires me every time I talk to him. I like how you're really moving to action. Tomorrow, we'll talk about the "local vision" and how that might look for you. I'm excited to hear what you're thinking of doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciated your notes, Becky! You had a good summary of the Center Court and it deepened my reflections about, learning from yesterday, to read through your lens. I'm going to try and jump into new things this year too. Making movies and using my iPad better! Plus trying out google docs in staff meetings.

    ReplyDelete